Sunday, April 21, 2013

Winery Visit - Attimo Winery

On Sunday, April 14, 2013, my girlfriend and I decide to visit a winery. We went to Attimo Winery which was only a 30 minute drive away. This was our first winery visit and was excited to learn more about wine.


The first thing that I wanted to do was go taste the wine that was made in Attimo Winery. So we went tasting area to try the wine. 


This was the wine list that they gave us and I did the standard wine tasting. The standard wine tasting was only $5.00 to try 8 wines. They had a variety of white and red wines to try. They were very nice to give us 9 wines to try instead of 8.


The 9 wines that I tried were Yesterday's Song, Sonnet 98, Off-the-Cuff, Just Kissed Blush, After Midnight, Bull Frog Symphony, Deep Silence, AD 325, and Sweet Berry Sunset. My tasting note is listed below.
  • Yesterday's Song - Made from Chardonnay. Dry white, crisp, lightly oaked, pear note. 
  1. My Review - This wine smelled sour and had a fresh clean smell. It had a pear tasted and was a little bitter. Also had the buttery after taste. I do not like Chardonnay that much but this was a good Chardonnay.
  • Sonnet 98 - Made from Vidal Blanc. Dry white, crisp, floral, hints of fresh greens. 
  1. My Review - This wine smelled buttery and clean. It had a very crisp clean taste more than the first wine. 
  • Off-the-Cuff - Made from Reisling and Chardonnay. Semi-sweet white, fruity. 
  1. My Review - This wine smelled like white grape jucie and a sweet smell. Tasted fruity and was pretty sweet. It also had the buttery after taste. 
  • Just Kissed Blush - Made from Vidal and Raspbery. Off-dry blush, fruity; distinct berry flavors. 
  1. My Review - This wine smelled like the Sonnet 98 but with more fuirty smell. It was very sweet and had a mango taste.  
  • After Midnight - Made from Merlot, Zinfandel, and Blackberry. Semi-sweet red fruity flavor; velvety texture. 
  1. My Review - This had a lot of berry componets. Cherry and blackberry smell was very nice. It taste semi sweet and very fruity  It had a little taste of alcohol but it wasn't bad. I enjoyed this one, so I actually bought a bottle.  
  • Bull Frog Symphony - This was a blend wine. Dry red blend, peppery, Bordeaux style. 
  1. My Review - This wine smelled fruity. It tasted peppery and was very smooth.
  • Deep Silence - Made from Cabernet Franc. Dry red, intense berry flavors and light smoky peppery finish. 
  1. My Review - This had a good cherry smell and tasted like cherries. It had the smokey peppery finish at the end.
  • AD 325 - Made from Chambourcin. Dry red with bold flavors and cherry undertones. 
  1. My Review - This wine also smelled like cherries. It was bitter and peppery. Had a sour cherry taste. 
  • Sweet Berry Sunset - Made from Raspberry and Red Blend. Sweet red, Intense berry and fruity flavors.
  1. My Review - This wine smelled very fruity. It had a strong smell of strawberries. It tasted very sweet and was a bit sour. It also had a buttery taste. 


After the wine tasting we went out to see where the grapes where made. The field were pretty big and was very beautiful to see. It was a plus since the weather was very nice.


This was a very good experience and something that I would like to do again. It was good to see how the wine were made and how they are grown. I would recommend and students at Virginia Tech to visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment